Friday, March 8, 2013

Meat no more!?


My friend David and I like to challenge ourselves from time to time with these, for the betterment of our lives/health, type challenges.  We’ve encouraged each other to train for a ten mile race, try new workouts, cleanses and different all sorts of diet deprivations.   This week we challenged ourselves to eliminate meat from our diet.  While neither of us our necessarily hard core carnivores, we do both love our chicken and the occasional .50 cent taco Tuesday from the nearby pub.  Now on day 5 of my meatless diet, I can truthfully say, I miss chicken. J  I’m glad and happy to do these challenges from time to time, however I’m a firm believer that meat in moderation is a good thing.  Do I need it every day, no.  Do I crave it every day, no.  Do I want processed, chemically enhanced chicken, no.  Do I want an occasional chicken breast floating on my leafy greens, YES!   The moral of the story is, challenging yourself physically and mentally is the best medicine to living a happy/healthy life.  Our workout instructor always tells us that our bodies become used to the same workout routine, so we have to switch it up.  I think the same can be said for our diets and what we choose to put in our bodies.  Don’t be scared to try new things and leave some of the old habits at bay for a while, who knows you may discover something, be it a feeling, emotion or physical change, one in which you may have never had the chance of encountering otherwise.  

1 comment:

  1. Nicely put. Now, fire up the grill!! There's a hot dog out there with my name on it! Nom Nom!

    ReplyDelete