Wednesday, March 13, 2013

I'm not looking to run the Boston Marathon any time soon, although....

I've always been a pretty avid exerciser.  Looking to challenge myself mentally and physically, (and really against my better judgement) I ran my first 10 mile race two years ago and I haven't looked back since.  With the encouragement of my friend David, we "trained" for months before the race and both hit the pavement hard on a warm mid-summer morning in Flint, MI at the Crim Festival of Races.  Running for any length of time and distance is definitely out of my comfort zone, particularly when surrounded by thousands of people and quickly realizing the hard way that avoiding hills during training was not the best idea.  We crossed the finish line in just under 2 hours, a time which I knew David could have easily shaved down, yet he ran, or rather jogged/walked by me the whole time.  A true friend, to say the very least. Fast forward one year and we participated in the race again, but this time running the 8K race.  We were a bit faster on our feet with more running experience under our belt, we pushed through those same hills and people as the year prior, but this time cutting our distance in half, a far more comfortable avenue but still no walk in the park, no pun intended.  I'm not sure what this years Crim will have in store for us, but what I do know is that I plan on participating the race in some way, shape or form.  For me, there's perhaps no better sense of accomplishment than pushing myself out of that comfort zone and finishing something I never in a million years dreamed I would do. I don't know if I would go as far as saying I'm a "runner," but I am definitely a "jogger."      

**There in the picture is my friend David, me and our friend/# 1 supporter Matt!

No comments:

Post a Comment