Thursday, April 10, 2014

Profitable Holidays?

It was just brought to my attention that a mall in greater Detroit (Great Lakes Crossing Outlets) will be open on Easter Sunday. That's right; as if opening retail outlets on Thanksgiving last year wasn't enough, stores are now open Easter Sunday.  What is going on? Let me guess, Christmas will be next for mall shopping crusades. I don't get it.  Let Holidays be Holidays.  Holidays, to me and almost everyone else, means: family, food, reminiscing, more food and laughter for days.  Perhaps the last thing on my mind is to go shopping for non-necessities. If I had the itch to buy new shoes, online shopping is plenty sufficient and is a win-win for the consumer and the retailer.  Kudos to retail outlets like Menards who last year publicly advertised their decisions not top open on Thanksgiving so that their employees could enjoy the Holiday with family.  I wish other retailers would stand that same ground, instead of constantly thinking about profit.  I truly wish we didn't live in such a money hungry society, it's really unfortunate.  One thing is for sure, you won't catch me in a mall on any major Holiday and I hope other consumers follow suite.


No comments:

Post a Comment